Modern History

Mississippi Burning Reflection

February 8, 2009 · 8 Comments · Uncategorized

1. Why does the judge’s suspension of the three arsonists’ sentences spur a rampage of fires?
    1. The sheriff claimed that the African Americans started the fires that burnt down many their own homes.  Do you believe this? What rationale would they give for this happening?
    2. Who was the African American man that interrogated the mayor?  Why did the filmmaker have an African American a  man in this role?
    3. Why did the FBI go after the men for Civil Rights violations instead of murder?
    4. Explain this statement made by the FBI agent: “Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing.”
    5. What is significant about the gathering at the burnt down church in the final scene?
    6. Did you like the movie or not? Why or why not?

Personal response:

1. How would you feel if the arsonists who received suspended sentences burnt down your home or church?  What would you do, if anything?
    2. Reflect on the phrase, “Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing.”  What have you done when you have seen people being discriminated against?  What more can you do next time?

8 Comments

• Hamish Turnbull

1: would feel extremely angry and depressed. It would push me over the edge so i would not care what was going to happen to me because everyone hates me and wants me dead anyway so i would go into town and try kill the white men who did the torching.

2: The phrase “Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing.” means that who ever stands by and watches and does nothing is just as guilty because they did not try to stop it.
    I have done nothing when someone has been discriminated because i don’t feel its my place to do anything and next time i may try say something but i doubt i will just because i don’t think me saying anything will change anything apart from bring the discriminators anger upon me..

• luke styles

1
    Why does the judge’s suspension of the three arsonists’ sentences spur a rampage of fires?

Because it is unfair trial for the blacks so they rampage.

2
    The sheriff claimed that the African Americans started the fires that burnt down many their own homes. Do you believe this? What rationale would they give for this happening?

It was oblivious that the KKK had burnt down the blacks houses because they wouldn’t burn down there own houses.

3
    Who was the African American man that interrogated the mayor? Why did the filmmaker have an African American a man in this role?

The man was an FBI and he was interrogating the mayor to turn the tables and he appeared as a member of the KKK to make the situation ironic.

4
    Why did the FBI go after the men for Civil Rights violations instead of murder?

Because the judge would pass them on the charges and civil rights laws they couldn’t get out of

5
    Explain this statement made by the FBI agent: “Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing.”

It’s saying that they were guilty all whom new what was going on similar to the holocaust.

6
    What is significant about the gathering at the burnt down church in the final scene?

It shows that the African American will not be bothered if there is no church they will still pray and go on with there life’s an no one will stop them
    7
    Did you like the movie or not? Why or why not?

I did like the movie because it gave good example on how the blacks were discriminated. And how discrimination still exists today.

Personal response:

1
    How would you feel if the arsonists who received suspended sentences burnt down your home or church? What would you do, if anything?

I would feel very angry and be upset because my house is gone and I would react by allowing the law to put these men away.

2
    Reflect on the phrase, “Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing.” What have you done when you have seen people being discriminated against? What more can you do next time?

When I see people being discriminated I do nothing and it is likely I will do nothing next time.

• Reiji

The sentence spurred a rampage of fires because the case itself resulted in 3 accused men, getting away with murder. Which just shows how unfair the community is towards black people.

2. The sheriff claimed that the African Americans started the fires that burnt down many their own homes. Do you believe this? What rationale would they give for this happening?

No I don’t believe this. The sheriffs are just trying to cover up for their own shame against the African American population. Obviously the KKK began the fires, though the sheriff’s try and do there best to cover it up against the FBI.

3. Who was the African American man that interrogated the mayor? Why did the filmmaker have an African American a man in this role?

The African man was an agent trying to interrogate the major to get some answers as well as show how much each African American human being had to go through within the community, which explains the threats made to the major. The filmmaker had the African American as a man to show that they weren’t a weak population being pushed around.
    4. Why did the FBI go after the men for Civil Rights violations instead of murder?
    Because already we’ve seen that white people can get away with murder. If they came up with the dead bodies, the court can pass it.
    5. Explain this statement made by the FBI agent: “Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing.”
    It’s a statement of strong words, trying to make the people of Mississippi look bad. Considering that there’s murder going on, yet no one makes the move trying to stop this. In other words, calling them cowards and guilty.

6. What is significant about the gathering at the burnt down church in the final scene?
    It shows us viewers that even if they have burnt down churches, there spirit will forever go strong, and that they can always live through life.

7. Did you like the movie or not? Why or why not?

I’ve yet to actually see a Civil Rights or against blacks movie so this was very interesting for me to watch. I never found it boring and kept me interested through out all the minutes. It also showed a great range of discrimination, which I found interesting.

Personal response:

Like any other human being, I’d be honestly hurt and angry inside. Obviously, losing your home or local church will effect you in all ways. I’d attempt to get the community to fight for themselves and attempt to pass this through the law and get heard.

I would say that I wouldn’t do anything and be that guilt person. Obviously if we were to do something, we’d be looked at unusual and also be on a hit list from possibly the KKK. In stages like this, most people would probably look after themselves more then anyone else.

• Andrew Denning

Mississippi Burning Reflection

The judge’s suspension of the three arsonist’s spur the rampage of fires and riot style behavior because it is used as an intimidation tactic used by the KKK to show that they (the African Americans) should ‘learn their place’ in society.

The sheriff claimed that the African American population started the fires that destroyed their homes, which I believe is a lie as it covers up the intimidation attacks of the KKK against the African Americans.

The African American man who interrogated the mayor in the shack was a FBI agent, the filmmaker cast/wrote this role for an African American as it shows the climax in the film where the power is shifted from the white population and the KKK to the African American population.

The FBI agents went after the men for Civil Rights violations as it is a federal offence and would have to be prosecuted in Washington, where as murder is a State offence and there was no guarantee that the men would be charged fairly under law.

This statement I believe means that even though you were present at a crime and did nothing you were as guilty as the person who pulled the trigger, as you didn’t try to stop the crime but simply watched it happen in front of you.

This scene in the movie is significant because even though the KKK burnt down their homes, churches, schools etc. they (the African American population) still stood united.

I did like this movie because is showed a story of how people can be narrow minded enough to judge someone based on the color, race, and religious beliefs and that one-day “Will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” – Martin Luther King, Jr. This film showed that there were people willing to fight for these ideals.

Personal response:
    1. How would you feel if the arsonists who received suspended sentences burnt down your home or church? What would you do, if anything?
    Personally I believe it as I human emotion to seek revenge, but under the circumstances that the African Americans were in I would be powerless to show such anger and hate for fear of even harsher threats, intimidation tactics and murders.

2. Reflect on the phrase, “Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing.” What have you done when you have seen people being discriminated against? What more can you do next time?
    This phrase is one that can directly affect every person; it poses the moral and ethical dilemma of how you would react in these situations. When I have seen people discriminated against in the past I would say that I have done nothing in the past, but that would depend on situation in which the person is being bullied/discriminated against. In the future if I feel that it would be necessary to step in and defend those being discriminated against I hope that I will.

• nathan

Because the coloured people went on strike and went on protest marches so the KKK responded by burning their houses.
    2. The sheriff claimed that the African Americans started the fires that burnt down many of their own homes. Do you believe this? What rationale would t hey give for this happening?
    No the sheriff wanted the FBI to see the coloured people as idiots because they were burning down their own houses but this isn’t what happened.
    3. Who was the African American man that interrogated the mayor? Why did the filmmaker have an African American man in this role?
    Because civil rights violations are federal offences and therefore they could by-pass the local systems that were heavily biased.
    It shows that even when everything is lost, the people will keep fighting.
    I liked the movie because of the characters, the plot which showed the above statement ” even when everything is lost, the people will keep fighting.”

Personal response:
    I would feel some hate but mostly I would feel sad for the people who did it. Why? Because if they are stupid and deranged enough to destroy some-ones life without a second thought they must be deficient in common sense.
    I haven’t really protected the person I’ve sat on the sidelines. In the future I will do what I can to stop these things happening and hopefully if I am discriminated against I will be helped by the people I helped.

• TomB

Because the white’s attempt to make it look like the black’s are running riot and burning all the houses down around the district.

I don’t believe it, I believe that the Ku Klux Klan lit the fires to blame it on the blacks. The reason for this was the white’s would attempt to blame it on the blacks for all the destruction that was caused and the blacks would get more trouble for it.

The African American man that interrogated the mayor was a man that the FBI had hired into scaring the mayor into talking. The African American man would have been cast to show that black people actually had power, the fact that he was a big man who threatened to inflict pain was a good choice for the casting.

Because the murder of a black man would have been harder to solve in court whereas Civil Rights violations would have been easier especially with the two white men involved.

It means that anyone who can stand by and watch such horrific events and not intervene with what was being done to the black people means that they are able to stand such horrible things and turn their back on such cruel treatment.

It symbolized a phoenix, both races came together in the ashes and rose as one in a new time in the county, without such harsh racism.

I liked the movie because I thought it was an accurate description of what the South was like back in the sixties, also the story line of intrigue and deception made it a very entertaining film.

• lucas

It spurs a rampage of fires because the result of the trial proves that the law is on the whites’ side and the fires are lit in arrogance to show the blacks that they are untouchable.

2.The sheriff claimed that the African Americans started the fires that burnt down many their own homes. Do you believe this? What rationale would they give for this happening?

The fires were definitely lit by the KKK members as an attempt of intimidation and they would say that the blacks did it deliberately to cover up their involvement.

The man was a professional sent by the government and he is played by a black man to show the changing in the balance of power away from the KKK in the town.

Because Civil Rights violations are a federal offence and would be treated in a higher court whereas murder would be heard in a local court, and the corrupt jury would let the men off.

He says this because there is so much discrimination and law breaking going on that anyone who knows that it is happening and does not act to prevent it should be breaking a law themselves.

It is significant because it shows that even though the KKK burnt down their homes and churches, the African Americans were still hopeful and together.

I liked the movie because it is a good recount of the times and events and gives a good insight to what it was like in parts of America at the time.

Personal response:

I would feel like i had been discriminated against and powerless so i would feel as though there was nothing i could do.

The phrase tests the morals of all the people who are around such discrimination, and accuses them of being unethical for not acting against it.
    I have not acted strongly against discrimination but I could intervene to help the situation.

• tristan

The judge’s suspension of the arsonists spur rampage fires because they show that the law is definitely on there side so they light the houses to show the black population that their untouchable.

The sheriff claimed that the African Americans started the fires that burnt down many their own homes. Do you believe this?What rationale would they give for this happening?
    No I don’t believe this they were definitely lit by the KKK and then to try and cover their tracks they blame the African Americans.

Who was the African American man that interrogated the mayor?Why did the filmmaker have an African American a man in this role?

The statement is saying that if you stand by and do nothing whilst these awful acts are being committed than you yourself are as bad as the committers for not stopping it.

It shows that even when the African Americans had lost everything they still had the strength and courage to stand up as one united race for what they believed in.

I did like the movie because it gives people an understanding of what it was like for African Americans living in the states just 55 years ago